There’s something in the air around back-to-school time that makes even the smell of freshly sharpened pencils seem magical. First day photos, new backpacks and family dinners around the table hold the promise of a great school year.
To help kick off the year on a tasty note, we asked local Certified Nutritional Chef Alyssia Webb Birnbaum from Mama’s Gotta Eat fame for some back-to-school recipes. We’ll be sharing a few of them this week, and we’re starting off with one you may be surprised to see. Cookies for breakfast?
How to Make Protein Cookies for Breakfast
- 1 Cup Almond Butter*
- ¼ Cup Rolled Oats
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- ¾ Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- ¾ Cup Chocolate Chips
*Substitute nut butter with 1 cup mashed banana or pureed pumpkin for nut allergies
- Heat oven to 350.
- Listen as your children cheer about cookies for breakfast, and then get out a medium sized mixing bowl.
- This recipe doesn’t require a hand mixer, so just stir all the ingredients except the chocolate chips with a big spoon – ask your kids to help you!
- Make sure the baking soda is well blended, and then add in chocolate chips. You can keep the uncooked dough in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, baking small batches of cookies or all at once.
- Drop the dough by the tablespoon onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or a non-stick baking sheet. This step is crucial, or the dough WILL stick!
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, and then let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes or so. Again, this step is crucial to creating fully formed cookies.
- Got anxious-to-eat kids? Let them set the timer!
- Remove cookies to a wire rack, and let them cool to a temperature that’s safe to eat.
- Now, gobble them up.
Healthy Note: Don’t skimp on the chocolate in this recipe; it’s an antioxidant that reduces your risk for heart disease.
Protein Cookies (18 servings) – Calories: 153kcal/Fat: 11.4g/Carbs: 12.9g/Protein: 3.4g
With Fruit Puree Substitute – Calories: 69kcal/Fat: 3g/Carbs: 10.9g/Protein: 1.2g
Leave us a comment to tell us about some of your favorite recipes.
- Homestyle Garden Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Colorful Cookie Decorating Without Food Dye
- 5 Allergy-Friendly Recipes on Video
*Edited on Aug. 19, 2014, to add nutrition information